Article Options
Categories


Search


Advanced Search



This service is provided on D[e]nt Publishing standard Terms and Conditions. Please read our Privacy Policy. To enquire about a licence to reproduce material from endodonticsjournal.com and/or JofER, click here.
This website is published by D[e]nt Publishing Ltd, Phoenix AZ, US.
D[e]nt Publishing is part of the specialist publishing group Oral Science & Business Media Inc.

Creative Commons License


Recent Articles RSS:
Subscribe to recent articles RSS
or Subscribe to Email.

Blog RSS:
Subscribe to blog RSS
or Subscribe to Email.


Azerbaycan Saytlari

 »  Home  »  Endodontic Articles 2  »  A new technique for the study of periapical bone lesions: ultrasound real time imaging
A new technique for the study of periapical bone lesions: ultrasound real time imaging
Discussion - References.



Discussion.
The results of this study demonstrated that echographic examination is a real-time imaging technique that has the potential to be used in the assessment of periradicular lesions of endodontic origin.
The energy of US waves is absorbed in the form of heat energy, and direct transfer of the mechanical energy of sound waves into tissue is potentially dangerous because it causes cavitation and vibration (Auer & Van Velthoven 1990). These phenomena depend on the time of application of the sound energy. During US imaging the energy developed is low (max 50 mW cm2 1 ) and the time of application short. Only during 0.1% of total activity is the crystal emitting energy; for the remaining 99.9% of the time it is ‘listening’ (receiving echos). In experimental and clinical studies no adverse effects of ultrasound waves have been reported (Baker & Dalrymple 1978, Fleischer & Emerson 1993). The effect of repeated investigations is less certain, but even so, the risks entailed by radiographic investigations are much greater (Liebeskind et al . 1981, Martin 1984).
A major concern over the performance of ecography was the difficulty in attributing the lesions to a specific area of the maxillary bone (once the exam had been printed) because the dental landmarks (i.e. roots) were not specifically visualized. This made it difficult to orient the lesion in the different regions of the mouth, without using a reference radiograph. In addition, in order to enhance patient comfort and to improve the manipulation of the probe, a high quality, small ultrasound probe should be manufactured for endodontic use.

References.

Auer LM, Van Velthoven V (1990) Intraoperative Ultrasound Imaging in Neurosurgery.Berlin: Springer Verlag, 1-11.
Baker ML, Dalrymple GV (1978) Biological effects of diagnostic ultrasounds, a review.Radiology 126, 479-89.
Bender IB, Seltzer S (1961) Roentgenographic and direct observation of experimental lesions in bone. Journal of American Dental Association 87, 708-16.
Cotti E, Vargiu P, Dettori C, Mallarini G (1999) Computerized tomography in the management and follow-up of extensive periapical lesion.Endodontics and Dental Traumatology 15, 186-9.
Dula K, Mini R, van der Stelt PF, Lambrecht JT, Schneeberger P, Buser D (1996) Hypothetical mortality risk associated with spiral computed tomography of the maxilla and mandible.European Journal of Oral Sciences 104, 503-10.
Goldman M, Pearson AH, Darzenta N (1972) Endodontic success: who’s reading the radiograph? Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology 33, 432-7.
Liebeskind D, Koenisberg M, Koss L, Raventos C (1981) Morphological changes in the surface characteristics of cultured cells after exposure to diagnostic ultrasound.Radiology 138, 419-23.
Martin AO (1984) Can ultrasound cause genetic damage?Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 12, 11-20.
Nair R (1998) New perspective on radicular cysts: do they heal? International Endodontic Journal 31, 155-60.
Saunders MB, Gulabivala K, Holt R, Kahan R (2000) Reliability of radiographic observations recorded on a proforma measured using inter- and intra-observer variation: a preliminary study. International Endodontic Journal 33, 173-85.
Scarfe WC, Czerniejewski VJ, Farman AG, Avant SL, Molteni R (1999) In vivo accuracy and reliability of color-coded image enhancement for the assessment of periradicular lesion dimensions.Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology 88, 603-11.
Trope M, Pettigrew J, Petras J, Barnett F, Tronstad L (1989) Differentiation of radicular cysts and granulomas using computerized tomography.Endodontics and Dental Traumatology 5, 69-72.
Trope M, Sigurdsson A (1998) Clinical manifestation and diagnosis.Essential Endodontology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science Ltd, 166-74.
van der Stelt PF (1985) Experimentally produced bone lesions. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology 59, 306-12.